Thursday, November 21, 2013

Back in the Classroom

This week I've been back in the classroom - not as a student, but as a visiting professor at the Karen Baptist Theological Seminary in Insein, Yangon, Myanmar.  KBTS offers several programs including a Bachelor of Theology degree and a Master of Divinity degree.  Both are English language degree programs. As my D.Min. work was broadly in the area of practical theology, KBTS Pastoral Theology professor Dr. Saw Christopher Day generously extended the invitation to me to teach both his B.Th. seniors and M.Div. freshmen.

Mark with KBTS B.Th. seniors.
The B.Th. students are studying church administration and finance.  Their class meets for two hours on back to back days.  For three hours I lectured on some basic concepts of congregational organization, administration, church finance, and stewardship from an American perspective.  For the final hour I asked students to explain to me how Karen Baptist congregations in Myanmar are organized and financed.  There are significant differences between the context of churches in American and Myanmar. The United States is a cash/credit society that increasingly relies on online banking.  Much of Myanmar is a barter and limited cash society. Most people in Myanmar do not have a bank account or credit card, let alone a computer for online banking.  It is helpful to know these realities as I attempt to minister to transplanted Karen from Myanmar in the U.S.

Mark, Dr. Saw Christopher Lee, and first year KBTS M.Div. students.
The M.Div. class is studying call and ordination.  For our first session, I explored with the class differences in the ordination process among American Baptists and the Karen Baptist Convention of Myanmar.  There are some significant differences!  For instance, in Myanmar not only must ordination candidates have met educational requirements and be of good character, but they must have proven themselves in ministry for a period of ten years.  They must also be at least thirty-five years old and married.  During our second class session, I lead the class in a Biblical exploration of those whom God calls to serve to him.

At the conclusion of the M.Div. lectures, the class presented me with two attractive Karen vests.  These will be very useful for the upcoming Karen Baptist Convention meetings and Judson Bicentennial celebration as I left my Karen clothing in Utica. After my final session with the B.Th. seniors, the class sang "Give Thanks with a Grateful Heart" in my honor.



No comments:

Post a Comment